Kingdom of Calontir

How to Submit Content to the Mews

(Updated February, 2019)

What is the Mews?

The MEWS is Calontir’s newsletter and it contains important information that all members should be familiar with. This includes: letters from our Royal Family and Kingdom Officers, court reports, job announcements, event notices, seneschal contact information, and the upcoming event calendar, along with feature articles and event photos. The MEWS is published monthly and becomes available to read online about two weeks before the start of each month

How can I access the Mews?

All Sustaining and International members of the SCA have access to The MEWS, along with every Kingdom’s newsletter in our Known World. To view the newsletters, go to and login with your member number (as username) and password (if you have not yet set a new password, it will be the word start).

What can I submit to be published in the Mews?

Anything that would be of interest to SCA folk can be included in the newsletter. A recipe you recently redacted, an article on how to make a 14th century hat, a review of a book on medieval games, an article about your visit to a medieval mansion, a poem or song in the medieval style…

The newsletter also welcomes photographs and artwork. Each month, the front cover features a larger piece of art or a photograph, so there is a constant requirement for that. Sometimes, there is need for clip-art to illustrate articles. Often, there is a need for smaller pieces of art to separate two articles, fill the space at the end of a page and so on. Add to the Glory of Calontir by allowing your artwork and photos to appear on the cover of the kingdom newsletter! Cover art for The Mews is not confined to drawing, painting, and illumination. A quality photograph of your chosen art is worthy and welcome.

Remember! Contributions must be your own work and not contain material (other than justifiable quotes) from copyrighted material, unless you have proof of written permission from the copyright holder.

How to submit content to the Mews:

Creative Works (Non-Photos)

To submit original artwork for publication in The Mews, the artist must also sign and send a Creative Works Release form to indicate they are the creator of the artwork and establish permission to publish the “Work” and control its use.

Artists who wish to give their “work” to the SCA can check OPTION #1 — FULL ASSIGNMENT OF COPYRIGHT, in which they transfer ownership of the “Work” to the SCA to use in any future SCA website or publication.

Types of “Work”

      • article
      • story
      • script
      • poem
      • song
      • artwork
      • map

To Submit Creative Works (Non-Photo) to the MEWS, fill out the form here —-> Submit Creative Content to the MEWS 


To submit photographs for publication, photographers must sign the SCA Photograph Grant of Use form to indicate ownership of the photograph and give permission to publish the photo and control its use. Photographers who don’t want to ever have to sign another Photograph Grant of Use can check The Perpetual Grants of Use option. In which they agree that the Photograph(s) identified above, as well as any photos I (they) submit to the SCA at any time in the future, may be used for any SCA publication or website. Photographs should be in vertical (“portrait”) format rather than horizontal (“landscape”), as this best fits the space available on the cover. Images are reproduced in half-tone black & white. Images should therefore not have too much fine detail, or areas of low contrast, as these will not reproduce well.

Photographs should obviously be of a relevant subject – medieval building, photographs taken at events and such like. Where the photograph features the faces of individuals such that they can be easily recognized, be sure that you have the permission of the people, especially where children are concerned.

For people in the photograph:

Model Release

Every person with an identifiable face in the photo must sign a Model Release Form to give permission to publish their image and control use of the final product. People who don’t want to ever have to sign a Model Release form again and who are willing to let the SCA use their image in any photograph (with the right to have it removed) can check Option #1. OPTION #1 — RELEASE FOR ALL PHOTOGRAPHS The SCA may publish any photograph taken of me in any SCA publication, including print, web and electronic. I reserve the right to ask that any specific picture on the web or in electronic media to be removed.

According to the Chronicler working policies, there is no assumption of privacy at events held in public therefore it is not required to track down every identifiable person in the photo to sign a release. So only “portrait” style photos containing people who are actally posing for a photograph need a Model release.

“What is meant by “public place”? From

“A public place is generally an indoor or outdoor area, whether privately or publicly owned, to which the public have access by right or by invitation, expressed or implied, whether by payment of money or not, but not a place when used exclusively by one or more individuals for a private gathering or other personal purpose.” In other words, the majority of SCA events and functions are held in public places, but there are exceptions: a household meeting held at someone’s home, for example, would be considered a non-public venue, and in order to publish images from that meeting on an SCA-hosted website, Model Release forms would be required.”

To fill out the model release form go here —> SCA Model Release Form

Once the Model Release Form has been recieved, the Photographer should fill out the Grant of Use form here —> SCA Photographer Release

Other Information